Thursday, June 26, 2008

Guest of Cindy Sherman


(I did not take this picture of Cindy Sherman. Cindy Sherman did.)

Last week I volunteered as an assistant theater manager at the Provincetown International Film Festival. Oh, how I love this town.

For one thing, crazy is everywhere. Also, during film fest, famous people are everywhere. I got playfully elbow-ribbed by John Waters and served chorizo-stuffed mushrooms to Gael Garcia Bernal. Jane Lynch came to my theater twice. Word on the street was that Quentin Tarantino got wasted at the Old Colony Tap and Governor Bradford's, though I myself didn't catch a glimpse (damn!).

In addition to star-f*ing, I actually got to see a lot of great films, including Paul H-O's documentary, Guest of Cindy Sherman.

I have always liked Cindy Sherman fine, but this film made me fall in love with her. Her self-portraits are so dark and serious - and the Cindy in this film was totally giggly and shy. The film editor, Tom Donohue, who spoke before the screening, said he knew much more about Cindy from her work than he ever did from her personally. It was amazing to see her process - there's some really amazing stuff that happens before the shutter release.

Also, she had a long relationship with the filmmaker, Paul H-O, who is well-meaning but definitely annoying, and that whole story line is fascinating.

See Guest of Cindy Sherman!

No comments: